Terms and Conditions
Everyone who uses Surveyor must agree to the following terms and conditions regarding access to and use of NatureServe data:
- No interest whatsoever is conveyed to the registered users of NatureServe Surveyor in right, title, and interest in the data provided or in the application or web service, or in any copyrights (and renewals thereof) secured therein.
- Due to the dynamic nature of the data, any data obtained via NatureServe Surveyor can only be used for a period of one calendar year from the date data were obtained.
- The information provided to registered users via NatureServe Surveyor is intended for distribution and use only by the registered user or within the registered user's department, agency, organization, business, or corporation. Subcontractors and clients who are not registered users may have access to specific data related to any given project but should not be provided access to any data for subsequent or unrelated work. Beyond these limits, these data cannot be further distributed by anyone in any format except under the following conditions:
- Data linking species (taxa) names with locations can only be displayed in formats coarser than 1:100,000. In the United States, formats that randomize or generalize the location of the species within a USGS 7.5' Quadrangle, U.S. county, or 8-digit HUC also return species names.
- All products and publications derived from these data will include appropriate citation and/or acknowledgment. As appropriate, NatureServe’s logo should also be used.
Citation to use when data are included in a publication:
NatureServe <year>. NatureServe Surveyor. Available at: surveyor.nNatureserve.org. NatureServe, Arlington, VA. (Accessed: Month dd, yyyy).
Data source statement to use under graphic or map:
Data Source: NatureServe Surveyor (surveyor.natureserve.org).
Acknowledgment statement to include on data products as appropriate:
This information is provided by NatureServe (www.natureserve.org) and its member programs, a leading source of information about rare and endangered species.
Warranty Statement to include on data products as appropriate:
Full text: These data are dependent on the research and observations of many scientists and institutions, and reflect our current state of knowledge. Many areas have never been thoroughly surveyed, however, and the absence of data in any particular geographic area does not necessarily mean that species of concern are not present. These data should not be regarded as a substitute for on-site surveys required for environmental assessments. If ground-disturbing activities are proposed on a site, the appropriate natural heritage program(s) and/or conservation data center(s) should be contacted for a site-specific review of the project area. See the NatureServe Network Directory for program contact information.
When brief text is needed, such as with a map: The absence of data in any particular geographic area does not necessarily mean that species of concern are not present.
- NatureServe Surveyor is intended solely for informational or planning purposes. Data provided via NatureServe Surveyor should not be regarded as a substitute for on-site surveys such as are required for environmental assessments. If ground-disturbing activities are proposed on a site, the appropriate natural heritage program(s) and/or conservation data center(s) should be contacted for a site-specific review of the project area.
- In the event that a registered user breaches any one or more of the Terms and Conditions, NatureServe may, upon their election and in addition to any other remedies that they may have, at any time terminate that user's registration.
- NatureServe does not portray the data provided via NatureServe Surveyor as representing exhaustive or comprehensive inventories and makes no warrantees as to the completeness and accuracy of the data.
- NatureServe Surveyor is intended to be a single portal for serving data from NatureServe and its member programs throughout the United States and Canada. Individual programs may have additional tools, more current data, and/or more detailed data available. Contact the programs to learn about other possible tools and ways to access data.
- NatureServe shall have no liability or responsibility to the registered users of NatureServe Surveyor or any other person or entity with respect to any liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly, by NatureServe Surveyor or the data obtained via NatureServe Surveyor, including but not limited to any interruption of service, loss of business, anticipatory profits, or indirect, special, or consequential damages.